"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Book Lust by Nancy Pearl


Rating: 3.0


What it's about:
Seattle librarian Pearl lists and describes books she would recommend. The material is organized into some 175 thematic entries. Themes chosen are either arbitrary or whimsical, depending on one's point of view, with entries devoted to novels written by women named Alice, Cold War spy fiction, American history nonfiction, King Arthur, New York, and Zen Buddhism being a few examples. -taken from Barnes&Noble.com

My thoughts:
This is a good book for those readers who are looking for some recommendations on what to read. Nancy Pearl has her recommendations broken down into different categories according to topics, her favorite authors and moods. I have not read most of the books she suggests but I found a handful that I want to read in the near future. She doesn't go into detail on many of the books as to what the book is about. She may say it's about mother-daughter relationships or something vague. Needless to say, I was on the computer looking up a more detailed description of some of these books. I also noticed that I frequently ran across the same book title in several different places in Book Lust. Pearl might list the same book in Mexican Fiction and First Novels for example. It got a little redundant for me but I understand Book Lust is probably not meant to be read from cover to cover like I did. If you are looking for some ideas on what to read, Book Lust could be helpful.

1 comment:

tina FCD said...

Hmm..I never heard of it. But that's a great idea.