"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris


Rating: 3.0

What it's about:
This is Morris's highly acclaimed account of Theodore Roosevelt's life, encompassing the years from Roosevelt's birth to his service in the White House.

He was one of our most vibrant presidents; his image still haunts our past and our present. This fascinating and comprehensive biography of the extraordinary naturalist, adventurer, soldier, and politician, tells the improbable, but very real, story of a man determined to get what he wanted, an American who helped define our century and our very character.

My thoughts:
The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt is the very informative biography of a great man detailing his childhood all the way up to his Presidency. I found the chapters recounting his childhood, first love, marriage and his personal life in general to be interesting and pleasing to read. Much of the book though I found to be tedious and tiring. It's taken me a long time to finish this book because most of the time I could only get through a few pages before becoming bored. If a person is interested in the young Roosevelt's political rise, then I'm sure this is a relevant book. I guess I found his personal life to be much more alluring.

No comments: