"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Losing the Moon by Pattie Callahan Henry


Rating: 4.5

What it's about:
Amy Reynolds is stunned when her first, great love suddenly reappears. A happily married mother of two, she wants nothing to do with him. But then-needing to know why he was ripped from her life without explanation-Amy becomes obsessed with the idea that maybe they really were meant to be together... -taken from Barnes&Noble.com

My thoughts:
My sister recommended and loaned me her copy of Losing the Moon by Patti Callahan Henry. I wasn't really expecting much just from reading the back cover. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it actually was. When Amy, happily married mother of two, is suddenly re-introduced to her first true love, her life and the lives of many others are forever changed. Amy and Nick were college loves until Nick leaves for a semester in land preservation down in Costa Rica. They vow that when he comes back they will start the rest of their lives together....only Nick doesn't come back after the semester end. Amy eventually moves on, marries and has children. When she meets back up with Nick a couple of decades later they both have questions about what really happened that set their lives on different paths. The book is well written and beautiful. It's about holding yourself accountable for your own actions. I like the realistic ending as well. I think it'd make a good movie. Losing the Moon was an unexpectedly good read and I'm glad my sister encouraged me to read it.

No comments: