"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Man Without a Face by Isabelle Holland

Rating: 5.0

The Man Without a Face does indeed have a face. Justin McLeod, a hermit and an ex-teacher, had half of his face badly burned in an accident. When 14 year old Charles asks for his help tutoring him for an entrance exam to a boarding school, they both get more than they bargained for. Love and friendship. This short novel is beautiful and very moving. Young Charles looks up to Justin in many different ways. "I'd never had a friend, and he was my friend; I'd never really, except for a shadowy memory, had a father, and he was my father. I'd never known an adult I could communicate with or trust, and I communicated with him all the time, whether I was actually talking to him or not. And I trusted him ......" The Man Without a Face is about many different kinds of love as well as guilt and regret. It's about a confused and troubled young man looking for freedom. One of the most important lessons Charles learns from Justin that summer is this: "You can be free from everything but the consequences of what you do." This is a very touching book and I also highly recommend the movie from 1993 staring Mel Gibson.

No comments: