"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan


Rating: 4.0

I, Lucifer is positively brimming with wit and irreverent, really irreverent, humor. That's what saved this book when it threatened to get bogged down in one too many digressions. It was amusing even when I was slightly puzzled about what the heck was going on.

This story is told from the perspective of Lucifer, a.k.a. the"Fallen Angel, Prince of Darkness, Bringer of Light, Ruler of Hell, Lord of the Flies....." you get the point. So, 'Luce' gets the opportunity to reenter Heaven with full forgiveness if he can live out a moral life as a human on Earth. I think moral is the key word here. As you can imagine, this is a little difficult for Lucifer. And besides, he's not so sure he even wants to do the whole Heaven thing again anyways. Regardless, he enters the body of one Declan Gunn for this little experiment of walking among us mere mortals and things take off from there. His deviations and ramblings from the plot are more entertaining that the actual plot. Actually, I'm not even sure there is much of a plot. But anyway, amidst the varied digressions are the real story of Adam and Eve, what it was like at the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ (or as Lucifer prefers, Jimmeny Christmas or Junior), and many more trifling anecdotes like what a dog's foot smells like and why the London Underground depresses God. If you are intrigued, want to know the outcome, and are not easily offended, then I suggest reading this narrative.

I, Lucifer is an interesting, if sometimes confusing, read. It's clever, comical and very British. I can't say I loved it, but I did get a kick out it. The end.

No comments: