"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Monday, August 30, 2010

Lincoln's Dreams by Connie Willis


Rating: 2.0

I was very unimpressed with Lincoln's Dreams. It was slow, boring and I really didn't care about the characters.

It's hard to describe this book because I'm still not sure what it was really about. A young woman, Annie, starts having the dreams of Robert E. Lee (even though the title of the book is Lincoln's Dreams). They are dreams of war and carnage. Nightmares really. Jeff, a research assistant for a civil war novelist, tries to help Annie but they really just travel around to old battlefields and sit in coffee shops and generally don't do anything at all. Pretty boring. The only reason I'm giving it two stars instead of one is because of the historical references. I enjoyed all the quips about the Civil War and the people who fought it....that's really what kept me reading. There are much more interesting novels out there that deal with the Civil War though. I don't recommend this one.

No comments: