"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Sunday, December 12, 2010

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

Rating: 5.0

What it's about: (taken from Barnes&Noble.com)

Considered one of the greatest war stories ever written -- and one of the classics of antiwar literature -- Remarque's 1929 masterpiece tells the story of young Paul Baumer, who enlists in the German Army in World War I and takes place with his comrades in the trenches.

My thoughts:

This book shows the brutal reality of war in the brilliantly written words of Remarque. Some of the sentences I read more than once because they were so profound and beautiful. There are a lot of not so beautiful scenes in here though. Trench warfare was a b***ch. All Quiet on the Western Front is a wonderful, yet emotionally draining, book that is deservedly a classic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered creating an ebook or guest authoring
on other websites? I have a blog based on the
same subjects you discuss and would love to have you share
some stories/information. I know my audience would value your work.
If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.


Here is my website: Louis Vuitton Sac Pas Cher